Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My First Solo Choreography

Well, I'm doing it -- I've embarked on the project of learning my first solo!

I am adapting it from something I saw on YouTube -- when I finally learn and perform it I will give credit where credit is due, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. I purchased the CD by mail, and just received it yesterday. It is not Egyptian music, it is a song by Knossos, but I love the song and the original choreography so much I just had to try it.

I need a project right now -- the bellydance studio will be closed for two weeks for the holidays, and I've got to have some way to occupy my time other than just drilling the same moves over and over (don't worry, I will continue drilling, but I want to do something besides that as well).

Learning and practicing the gala choreographies was fun, and I want to continue to develop my transitions and grace by continuing to learn choreographies. So, here goes.

So far, this is what I've accomplished:

  • Selected the portions of the five minute choreography I will do, and trimmed out a section of the .mp3 file to shorten the song to four minutes.
  • Went through the video one measure at a time and carefully documented every step, arm movement, and head position of the choreography. Changed unrecognized movements to moves and steps that I know.
  • "Walked Through" the choreography step by step, and made changes whenever something was awkward in weight transfer or simply beyond my ability to accomplish even with significant practice.
  • One section of the original choreography contains sixteen full revolutions of turns in a row -- something I  cannot do without puking my guts out, so I shortened the turns to four each at the beginning and end of the section, and added my own choreography for the measures in between.
  • Learned by heart the first minute and a half of the choreography, with much more memorization to come.
  • Can execute the steps of the first minute of the choreography up to tempo and with the music, although much more practice and refinement is needed to make it look smooth, confident and graceful.

Not bad for a week's work, eh?

My plan for this project:
  1. Finish learning the steps, and perfect all moves and transitions as much as I can.
  2. Drill problem moves, especially turns, which are my biggest weakness right now in dancing (I often lose my balance and simply must learn to execute turns consistently).
  3. Continue carefully developing strength and flexibility for back bends, of which there are several in the choreography (I actually started this process about a month ago).
  4. Continue strengthening my quads, improving my balance, and smoothing out doing mayas and omis while changing levels.
  5. Videorecord myself performing the choreography.
  6. Make adjustments and continue practicing as needed until it is as good as I can get it on my own.
  7. Schedule a private lesson with one of my Instructors to go over the choreography and make needed improvements.
  8. Practice, get improvements down pat, and videorecord again.
  9. Make any necessary final adjustments.
  10. Wait for the next "Cabaret 101" to be announced at the Studio, and sign up to perform (provided I am ready by that time).
  11. Perform my first solo in public!

I realize this is a big project at my current level, but I am very excited about undertaking it! I am sure I will learn a lot, and that it will make me a better dancer.

I will celebrate my successes by posting whenever I reach milestones in the process.

One of my instructors advised me to perform as early and as often as possible. I wonder if she knows what a monster she has created!

0 comments: